I've just been upgrading my oldest machine, a Lenovo N500, and here is another interesting feature of the wireless driver landscape. Whereas the Compaq machine seemed to find the wireless driver already on board, and installed it automatically, the Lenovo machine lost the necessary driver it already had, during the upgrade, and had to be connected with a network cable after upgrade from the USB stick, so that it could find the necessary driver (Broadcom) in bcmwl-kernel-source (proprietory). In this case I had to go to Software and Updates Additional Drivers tab to OK it. But there are a range of possibilities here: maybe in some cases it will find online, download and install automatically, given the temporary connection via the network cable. So even if you have a machine which is wireless capable before the upgrade, you might need to switch to network cable during the upgrade.