Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
> When it comes to the actual install I'm a bit nervous as although
> I'm fairly competent with both Linux and Windows, I've never had a
> machine with SSD/HDD in a "false" raid like this before, it's only
> two months old, and I've never had a machine where I didn't have a
> Windows install disk!

What's the false raid? I thought it appeared as simply two disks, one
SSD and the other traditional spinning rust.

> The installer sees the 500 GB HDD, so I assume I can create a
> partition and install Ubuntu on that.

Generally, yes. You will want to make certain, though, that not only
can it see the HDD but it can also see the partitions on it, and the
files therein. If it cannot, then this suggests there's some
interesting software layers going on which may need to be worked
around.

> Where do I put the boot loader though? It's telling me it wants to
> put it on the SSD.
>
> Is this where it should go?

It should go on the disk that the BIOS boots, which is likely to be
the SSD.

> I'm assuming that because the installer sees all the partitions and
> disks, I don't need to turn off UEFI or RAID or anything else.....

Check you can see the files and then you should be okay. UEFI
shouldn't cause any problems, this pseudo-raid setup might, but I
can't find any details of it.

--
Avi