H'mm. I've also tried reinstalling from the repository, using Synaptic, and it doesn't make any difference, and looking at it, the thing in the repository is also 2.98. But if I was to download 2.99 from the FTP page you indicated, wouldn't I have to do all the configuration manually? That would be totally beyond me. By the way, we shouldn't be top posting like this. It forces people to read the conversation from bottom to top as well as from top to bottom.