On 16 May 2013 09:51, Rowan Berkeley <rowan.berke...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was looking at Dash Home, not at the Software Centre. The search box I was
> talking about was the one on Dash Home. Synaptic used to be available direct
> from there, presumably because it was already installed. But no more. I
> never use the Software Centre (the red shopping bag). It's one of the first
> things I remove from my collection of launchers after I install (reinstall)
> Ubuntu. At first glance, it is nothing but a collection of vile commercial
> products (hence the shopping bag icon, presumably). So I had forgotten it
> even existed. I was thinking of Dash Home and the Software Centre as being
> one and the same.

Here, let me fix that for you. You forgot a few words.

"I am really sorry and I owe apologies to Liam and to Patrick. I am
not really familiar with computers, the terminology and with Linux,
although I have been working with it for some years now. I was looking
in the wrong program in the wrong place. I had not even tried to run
the program that the other people in the thread were talking about. I
had forgotten that it even existed.

"I would like to apologise for the time I have wasted, the friction
that I have caused and the disinformation and confusion that I have
fostered because I did not follow the clear instructions given to me,
nor did I study the screenshots or web links. I have wasted everyone's
time by adamantly insisting that my views were respected, even though
I was completely wrong and did not have a clue what I was doing.
Indeed, when I was called on this, I insisted that I had a different
version of the program or was on a different page.

"I have learned some important lessons from this, both in terms of
personal humility and in terms of listening to the advice of people
who know more than me. I will not attempt to stick my oar in again in
technical discussions which I do not understand. I will not make
incorrect assertions such as 'synaptic cannot be installed from the
GUI' or otherwise confidently state claims of things which I do not
know about and then demand to be listened to."

I could go on but I'm bored now and I'm sure the rest of you are too.

Next time Rowan starts going on and on about how something doesn't
work, though, remember this. Point this thread out to him. He is going
to forget, because he does that. He is a fine example of the
Dunning-Kruger effect: he is too incompetent to realise how
incompetent he is.

Unfortunately, he is also a fine example of the dictum "loud,
confident and wrong."

Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: lpro...@hotmail.com • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884