On 3 July 2013 22:55, Andrés Muñiz Piniella <andre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi a policy question,
>
> I just read this (1). It seems that some countries can not use the code
> from google code if it is encrypted software? If someone puts some GPL
> code, will this not be against it? Do others like launchpad, github have
> similar restrictions?
>
> This prism business is really getting to me.
>

> (1)https://code.google.com/projecthosting/terms.html
> --

I think you are misunderstanding what it says.  It talks about encryption
software, that is software that encrypts data, and an obligation to tell
the US government about it. I suppose that is because such software can be
used for all sorts of illegal purposes, for instance drug dealers can
encrypt messages sent between themselves for criminal purposes that the US
government may want to intercept.  Of course, it may also want to intercept
messages for other purposes, such as intelligence gathering, hence your
reference to prism.  This condition is imposed because the code is hosted
in the USA.  Code hosted elsewhere would, I suppose, not come under these
rules.

The other part refers to those countries subject to US export regulations,
such as Cuba has been for many years and Syria has been since the troubles
started there more recently.  Export of computer code is subject to the
same regulations as the export of other goods to these countries.

Hope that explains things a bit for you.

Tony