On 21 July 2013 04:53, Calum McAllister <cremcallis...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> So, has anyone else been too worried about using the wrong protocol on
> here?

It's just a case of following the conventions of the discussion. When
I join a mailing list I tend to read some of the archives or let a few
messages come in (i.e. lurk) I before I dive in. It also gives you
some idea of the prevailing attitude and helps avoid
misunderstandings.

> Yes, I've subscribed to this mailing list for years but it's about time I
> unsubscribed because I don't *know* this either and don't care to try to
> figure it out just to be discussing the correct format or how old school I
> am.

This stuff comes up regularly. It's a mailing list meme, just like the
ever-present emacs vs. vi(m) "discussion". I've never seen reply
position threads taken quite as seriously as that, though. I've
inlined replies for years (before it was a thing?). Otherwise it tends
to be very difficult to follow which points you're replying to.

> Perhaps a real problem-solver will come up with a way to avoid these
> discussions? I like the idea of a link to a clear explaination being
> included in the header.

In IRC this would be set in the topic. Something like a FAQ on the
list subscribe page might perform a similar same function?