El 31/07/2013 21:29, "SuperEngineer" <boo...@gmail.com> escribió:

> On Wed, 2013-07-31 at 20:42 +0100, Pete wrote:
> > I guess most if not everyone out there know that Governments use
> > Windows
> > XP (Uk Gov't) and that it costs quite a huge amount to pay in bulk
> > licenses, including local councils. Does anyone know how much these
> > bulk
> > licenses cost and how many the UK Gov't have?
>
> Realistically, no government, council or borough would consider
> switching without support.  Their choice of system would therefore be
> only those with pro support contracts [which includes Ubuntu/Canonical
> who do provide this vital item]... plus the training costs.  This is
> still a win over repeated MS contracts & licenses.
> [and the "this isn't what we were taught in school" syndrome]
>
> So who out there can convince them the two things they keep missing are
> common senses and real budgetary skills.
> --
> Bill B. [SuperEngineer]

I seem to have a more positive view:

I did email my mp via the http://www.writetothem.com/ website. He is
enviormentally driven so I focused on the amount of computers that go to
skips. He forward my concerns to treasury.
Also contacted the head of arts and culture to see if gnu/linux could be
used in libraries. Via twitter. He said they are keeping an eye on it.

Bottom line if you feel strongly about it, tell your MP.
http://www.writetothem.com/

About training: At the end all most of what people use is a web browser.
http://www.xkcd.com/934/

If there is interest the economics of it changes: more support companies
will show their heads demonstrating with bigger and bigger companies making
tbe switch. E.g.
Munich claims it saved 10 million euros on the switch.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LiMux
HP tried to say there was no savings or that there were loses but last I
knew they could not hold their claim.

Goverment has bigger contacts with huge service companies and those can
still be broken.