I am on the lookout for a bit of advice on using SSH/SFTP to transfer large
files between devices on my home network.

I use Filezilla as my SFTP client and, in principle, it works a treat. If I
transfer files between devices connected to the router by ethernet cable there
are never any problems. Likewise if I use a wi-fi connection, but with the
device right next to the router (i.e very strong signal) transfers are always
trouble-free.

However, if one end of the transfer is using a wi-fi connection and further
away from the router (around 10m), the transfers seem to pause for significant
periods (> 30 seconds) and often time-out altogether. This suggests to me some
kind of buffering issue. I'd be grateful for some advice from someone who
understands SSH config far better than me.

I don't think the problem is a particularly weak wi-fi signal per se, Over the
same distance from the router which gives problems with SFTP transfers, a
general internet connection (including streamed audio and video) works fine.

Regards

Nige