On 6 September 2013 15:51, Andrés Muñiz Piniella <andre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am using kubuntu 12.04 but it should be a cross platform problem I think.
>
> The problem I had was that the proxy was not letting me get online.
> I changed the proxy settings via the network settings GUI and it was
> all fine for rekonq web browser but muon (the package manager) did not
> update .
>
> Of course it did not tell me it was the proxy setting (I do not think
> it could tell me) it just told me that I could not reach such and such
> web pages.
>
> I finally came up the solution: looking up in askubuntu [1] it seems I
> need my username and password on a plain text file the
>
> /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/
>
> Is this solution the best? is there a more elegant solution?
> Also, it keeps asking me for my username and password to use the web
> browser but does not do this for package manager. I much rather have
> it ask me for username and password on both aplications. Rather than
> having my username and password written in plain text.
>

>  Or is this the normal way things work and I should not be too fussed
> about it?

I need to use a proxy, but I don't have to authenticate. This is the
correct place to store the configuration. Bear in mind that this file is
only readable by root, so the credentials aren't at much risk.

> Also, when using apt-get it finds the packages fine now but it is
> telling me that some of the files are not authentificated and that I
> should not trust them. It is a fresh install and I have not set any
> PPA. I was only installing gimp and gwyddion which normally do not
> give me any problems.

If you update the list of packages, it will get the keys that are missing
and everything will be authenticated again.

> Thanks for any pointers!
>
> [1] http://askubuntu.com/questions/23666/apt-get-does-not-work-with-proxy

Neil.

P.S. Sorry for the delay in replying, I tried sending it yesterday but the
gmail app on my phone is playing up...