from the pitch . . .

"Rasbian is a great operating platform for it, the LXDE desktop is fine, the Wayland demo was brilliant and loads of cool projects are happening based on the Pi. We still want Ubuntu on it though. We are using it in embedded projects, it is also turning up in things like the OpenERP Point of Sale kit, situations where it doesn't need a responsive user interface (or a user interface at all). It would be great to know that all the libraries we are using on it are the same versions we are using on other computers that are running Ubuntu. "

Basically when writing code on my laptop to deploy on the pi I want it to be the same environment. Now I could run Debian Wheezy on my laptop of course, but I am not going to do that. I am running Ubuntu on my laptop and I want to run Ubuntu on the Pi. Seeing Ubuntu Desktop with Mir and Unity 8 would be kind of sweet, but the project isn't a failure if that doesn't work out - and the Unity desktop might well not run well on the Pi, we are well below the minimum recommended specification. It will be fun to try, but I don't want to set expectations too high. Having Ubuntu server as an expectation is probably deliverable, going above and beyond that would be a bonus.

Alan.