Yes, I saw something about this on the BBC News android application around 30 minutes ago. IT does look interesting. I think it's something that's been postulated for some time, mind you. With the advent of the Government Digital Service (https://gds.blog.gov.uk/) this sort of stuff has been coming on for a while.

I'm sure you'll agree that gov.uk is a far easier to use site than the previous DirectGov, and on top of that, it is (mostly) released under the open government license (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/version/2/)

The BBC article I mentioned is at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25950004 - the subject of the article is actually about wasting resources on unnecessary website, but ODF gets a mention at the bottom.

If anyone is interested, the Cabinet Office has a website devoted to selecting open standards for use across UK Government IT - http://standards.data.gov.uk/. Incidentally, users can submit suggestions for standards of a particular type.