On Wed, 2014-04-02 at 14:22 +0000, Mike Hingley wrote:
> > From: boo...@gmail.com
> > To: ubuntu-uk@lists.ubuntu.com
> > Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 15:05:52 +0100
> > Subject: Re: [ubuntu-uk] Shutting down Ubuntu One file services
> >
> > On Wed, 2014-04-02 at 14:07 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
> > > I'd recommend any users who use Ubuntu One file services read this
> > > blog post from our CEO, Jane Silber:-
> > >
> > > http://blog.canonical.com/2014/04/01/shutting-down-ubuntu-one-file-services/
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Al.
> > >

> > The most annoying thing
> >  - the U1 home page still wants you to sign up;
> >  - the services page still offers all the options for downloading apps.
> >
> > Has anyone else wondered if perhaps this has not been thought through
> > properly?  Sure, it was nice [& gratefully received] while it existed...
> > but to discontinue and offer [con?] at the same time time is wrong &
> > gives a bad impression imho.
> >
> > However, I *do* thank Ubuntu for the free storage whilst it lasted and
> > for offering reasonable notice [and an extension to reclaim "ya stuff"].
> > ...but 'tis a sad loss.
> >
> > --
> > Bill B. [SuperEngineer]

> While there are file storage solutions out there, I also use U1 to sync my
> desktops - I sync a Keepass DB between my machines, and even a gramps folder.
>  And I was even able to sync to my android phone.  I shall miss U1 :(
> Any recommendations for replacement options?  Can I do that with owncloud?
> thanks
> Mike Hingley

Mike,
I always counted U1 as something that would someday fail or cease.  as
such I always carry a USB stick and all my synchronised stuff gets
copied to that as well [I use grsync for what it's worth].
it really isn't too much effort to re-sync my pooters from the usb stick
- but... not so nice as u! [sob].

I hope the close date is accurate  - I've already asked  interflora if
they can send u1 a wreath!  ;)

holding back the tears...
--
Bill B. [SuperEngineer]