On 28/04/14 14:34, Peter Smout wrote:
On 28/04/14 14:20, Gareth France wrote:
I posted recently about issues with my portable wifi hotspot. I am still
experiencing issues but have now had the chance to further define the
problem. The connection freezes, chrome simply states 'resolving host'
and the page must be reloaded several times before it will load. This
happens every 5 minutes or so. I? have been sent a replacement hotspot
but this is the same, I have used an 11.10 boot disc and it works
perfectly. On my partner's laptop which is also running 14.04 it is faulty.

The strange thing is that all other wifi connections work perfectly. The
hotspot is a Huawei E5220.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Hi,

Sounds to me like a similar issue I had on 12.04 when it was first released using the built in WIFI card on my laptop, Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection (rev 02).

I have a USB plugin one which worked perfectly so was not overly concerned, and it was fixed with a new kernel, I could have downloaded a different driver module and patched it into the kernel, but I never bothered as my luck when patching / rebuilding kernels has never been good ;)

I am surprised that 14.04 is still having similar issues (I have not upgraded yet owing to slow net out here in the sticks, but intend to d-l the .iso next time I have fibre-optic access!)

I suppose the multitude of hardware / software required for the many different interfaces available worldwide goes some way to explaining it, oh for standardisation ;)

Having said all that your issue may be totally unrelated.

Good luck

Pete S

13.10 was working perfectly so this is some sort of new bug, but how and why it only affects one connection I have no idea!