On 6 June 2014 15:22, Barry Drake <ubuntu-advertis...@gmx.com> wrote:

> Hi there .....  There were some recent posts about Thunderbird freezing.
>  This morning, I had a similar experience with Gparted.  I wanted to shrink
> the partition on a 32 GiB SD card and make an EXT3 partition in the
> unallocated space.  Android can use this for extra storage.  First using
> Trusty - it froze and greyed out.  The SD was still flashing, but after
> several minutes, it stopped flashing and Gparted crashed.  Exactly the same
> thing happened on Utopic.
>
> My wife has Saucy on her PC and Gparted did the job just fine on that one.
>  This seems to be a far wider problem than Thunderbird. At the moment, as
> of yesterday's update, Utopic is barely useable. I think there's some
> conflict in Compiz.  Maybe that will go away in the next few updates, but
> in view of this freezing problem, I wonder if there is an underlying fault
> in Unity/Compiz?  Any thoughts?

I've had similar problems with SD cards on Xubuntu particularly when trying
to format them, although that had improved on 13.10, which would suggest
something wrong with removable media support in the underlying system, or
maybe a physical problem with SD card slots or indeed the cards themselves,
however the point is that it's not limited to Ubuntu and I would be
inclined to say that it's not the same problem, or if it is, it's the front
end showing an issue from the back end.

s/

--
Twitter: @sfgreenwood