On 1 July 2014 09:50, Adam Funk <a24...@ducksburg.com> wrote:

> On 2014-06-30, Colin Law wrote:
>
> > On 30 June 2014 21:07, Gordon Burgess-Parker <gor...@gbpcomputing.co.uk>
> wrote:
> >> Is there any way of permanently removing the "unknown display"? I've
> turned
> >> it off but it still is sitting there although not now affecting
> anything...
> >
> > There is not normally an 'unknown display'.  Have you got two graphics
> > cards?  Or a card with two outputs?
>
> Oh, is *that* why I have an unknown display too?  I've been wondering;
> 'lshw -c video' does list 2 '*-display' items.

Interesting. I have a Lenovo X1 with a DisplayPort and HDMI ports and it
only shows one controller when I type 'lshw -c video' even when I have an
external display plugged into the HDMI port.

In the display settings, it only shows me what displays are actually
connected. So when I have nothing connected, it only shows "Built-in
display" while it shows both when I have the external screen connected.

Alternatively, could it be because the Lenovo U410 ultrabook has discrete
NVIDIA graphics? Which may mean that it's got 2 display controllers: the
one onboard the CPU + the NVIDIA one.

Bruno