I have installed Drupal 7 into Ubuntu 14.04, following instructions from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Drupal

I got as far as the bit that says Complete the Drupal Installation through a Browser and clicked on the links for install.php but in Firefox all I get is 404 not found.

I tried just entering /var/www/drupal/install.php and then Firefox found the file but a dialog box popped up asking me what to do with the file, rather than allowing me to continue with the drupal installation. It suggested opening it with gedit.

I am not sure if I did it all correctly in installing or setting up localhost properly, as the instructions were not entirely clear nor complete on that page.

So how do I get this to work so I can have a working Drupal 7 installation?