Thank you all for responding to my request and, from what I have read, it seems that this machine will not run any reasonably current OS. I have also unearthed a lot of old games which probably ran on DOS from 3.5in floppies. I wonder if I can find an old DOs disk, that would be fun and nothing to do with Ubuntu.

Norman

There's an article in issue 88 of Full Circle magazine (page 15) about
creating a minimal Ubuntu desktop. Might be worth a look:
http://fullcirclemagazine.org

Windows XP shipped to OEMs in 2001 and the public in 2002. This PC
probably predates the 21st century.

It *maxes out* at 96MB RAM:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=37114&start=15

You can forget any current distro on it. It's even older than I
thought with my previous comment. It might *just about* run DSL.