I have an Asus EeePC from a few years ago which still runs well. I was using PinguyOS (based on Ubuntu and Mint) but that became quite out of date and I did not like the newer versions (but was never too slow). So I decided to install Linux Lite which is based on Ubuntu, using version 14.04 so it has an up-to-date kernel and software. Nothing fancy, but it works smoothly on my netbook, even with Cairo Dock installed and a few tabs open in Firefox, plus running LibreOffice Writer and a couple of other small apps at the same time. Not had a problem with it at all, so maybe you just need to install a new distro. It has a CPU speed of 1.6 GHz and 1 GB of RAM so similar specs to your Samsung.

David King