On 17 October 2014 14:23, Liam Proven <lpro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17 October 2014 15:19, Alan Lord <alansli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > That's a fair question, but to be honest I don't really use anything else
> > but ssh/sftp - anywhere.
> >
> > If I need to move a *massive* amount of data then I'd probably use nc but
> > those occasions are rare.
> >
> > If the original enquirer wanted to they could also use sshfs [1] and
> make it
> > more permanent too.
>
> I must say, it seems a bit sledgehammer/nut to me.
>
> I mainly use Samba 'cos it Just Works™ and my home server (back in
> London) was running Windows Server 2008 (mainly as a learning
> exercise, but also as it was built out of weird bits of old hardware
> -- e.g. a Dell PATA/100 hardware RAID controller -- that was just
> easier to get working with Windows).

Not long ago, sshfs was being touted as the standard remote mount mechanism
for *buntu although I suppose any FUSE mountable filesystem could. I
personally tend to use it for any ad hoc connection but fall back to NFS
for (semi-)permanent connections across local network. By default you have
SSH or FTP from nautlius or nemo and they're simpler than CIFS. If you use
key based authentication sshfs it's incredibly simple.

s/

--
Twitter: @sfgreenwood
"TBA are particularly glib"