On 17 October 2014 15:42, Gordon Burgess-Parker <gordo...@mail.com> wrote:
> On 17/10/14 15:36, J Fernyhough wrote:
>>
>> sudo mkswap /dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-swap_1
>> sudo swapon /dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-swap_1
>

> Looks like that's it.
> Swap is now showing up in System Monitor as available with 1GB of space.

Just to make sure it's pointed out, you'll need to add it to your
fstab to get it activated on each boot.

> As I'm going to add another GB of RAM shortly, will it expand automatically,
> or if not, can I increase the Swap area?

It won't expand automatically, and I'm not sure how LVM will respond
to resizing the first (root) group. I remember having problems
shrinking an ext4 partition to allow the volume group to be shrunk,
though you should be fine if you can take the disk offline (e.g. use a
USB live image). So it's possible, but a faff, and with more RAM you
should need swap less. If you're stuck you could create a swap file
instead and do away with the separate partition (I'll leave that as an
exercise for now ;).

> Thanks for all your help!

More than welcome. ;) I'm glad there was something on this list I
could help with!