On 04/11/14 15:54, Liam Proven wrote:
On 4 November 2014 16:42, Gareth France <gareth.fra...@cliftonts.co.uk> wrote:
Thanks. I've seen what I'd like but it's in PC world. I really don't think I
can make a purchase if it is effectively an endorsement of Windows 8! I'm
sure there must be another way.

The real reason doesn't get talked about much.

It costs money to /not/ preload Windows.

Liam is right.

The only way you can "try" to make a point is either by:

1. Buying a machine from somewhere that sells then sans OS or with Linux.
2. Attempting to get a refund for the "Microsoft Tax"...

If you search google you will find cases where suppliers have refunded the license cost - and in doing so it arguably gives you an even better platform for broadcasting about it rather than just quietly buying a PC with Linux or no OS...

(Here's my story from July 2009 - and note the comments):

http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2009/07/getting-your-microsoft-tax-refunded-1010-for-amazon-uk/

But it doesn't always work...

Al

--