On 4 December 2014 at 15:26, Barry Titterton <titterton.ba...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> How old is the oldest computer that you have in regular use?
>
> I was prompted to ask this question by a comment that I over heard while
> doing some Linux advocacy at my local community centre. They run
> beginners computer courses (Windows only) so I popped along to see if
> anyone would be interested in Linux and FOSS. There was a conversation
> which included the statement "If your machine is 3 to 4 years old it
> must be getting worn out, so you need to think about getting a new one".
> This got me thinking about my own machines and I realised that my main
> desktop PC (Pentium D 3.2GHz), that I use every day, will be 9 years old
> in February, and it is still capable of running Ubuntu 14.04 very well.
>
> So how old is your machine?.

Being a geek I tend to cycle hardware every 3-4 years at most, so my oldest
computer in use is a Lenovo Edge 11 that I bought about three and half
years ago. It's running Xubuntu 14.04 happily.

I need to do something with my wife's laptop-before-last which I think is
10-12 years old and very underspecced. I might see if Lubuntu will play
with it.

In my day job I did come across a server a few years ago at a mobile phone
company that had an uptime approaching 12 years ,which was maintained by
the sysadmins as a badge of honour. I like to hope that it's still running.

s/
--
Twitter: @sfgreenwood
"TBA are particularly glib"