On 20/01/15 12:12, Paul Sladen wrote:
On Tue, 20 Jan 2015, Barry Drake wrote:
impossible to install .msi file using wine under Ubuntu
Which precise .msi file?  (ie. URL)
Several - every single one I tried fails. One in particular is Python - either Python 2.7 from https://www.python.org/ using: https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-279/ another is ActivePython: http://www.activestate.com/activepython/downloads but I've tried a whole lot more randomly chosen .msi files just to know where I was at.
Which exact suggestions did you try? (ie. exact command lines/steps).

msiexec [filename] was the main one. This gave EXACTLY the same error output as did trying to use Wine to run the .msi files The problem is so obvious and reproducible the messing about that I did after that is of no consequence, and I did not record what I did when it achieved nothing.
I've been taking part in a discussion on a forum ...
Someone who uses Mint got the system working ...
I looked long and hard at the Python code
URLs for all three of these please ?

I only have one - apart from Mint itself (http://www.linuxmint.com/). Why do you ask for three? The forum is at: https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/2012/09/10/drm-removal-tools-for-ebooks/#comments and it's such a poor site I can't get you directly to the comment. Search the page for barrydrake and you'll find all of my stuff, and the discussions with (mainly) Paul Durrant - but others did respond as I responded to others. The Python code is of no consequence as it fails because of lack of Python running under Wine. Details of the behaviour of the code, including debug logs is posted on the forum - if anyone has the patience to plough through it.

And before anyone comments on my reason for having to remove the DRM - my e-book reader is not compatible with books I have purchased online, so I can no longer read them now I have sold my old ebook reader. But that has nothing to do with the problem in Ubuntu/Wine.

Regards,        Barry.

is there an Ubuntu/wine person that I could report this to?
Regardless of whom it is reported to, collectively, people will need
the exact steps to try to reproduce the issue.

        -Paul