Hi All,

Do any members of this list have contact with the UK education system? My own sons are well past GCSE education but I am still interested what the schools are teaching today as I am actively trying to evangelise FOSS in my local area. I am specifically interested in the newly introduced Computing GCSE. Is it any better at covering FOSS issues?

I am under the impression that the UK education system has, for the last generation, taught the mantra:-

Microsoft = Computers and visa versa

The new GCSE is, in my understanding, supposed to teach a more rounded approach to computer science. However a quick look at the BBC Bitesize revision aid has the following page:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/guides/z6r86sg/revision/4

...with the graphic at the bottom describing open source software as having "No guarantees of high quality". Most of us (sarcasm alert) are well aware about the high quality experience that one gets from some proprietary software so I found this comment to be rather unfair. Therefore, returning to my original question, does anyone know if the new GCSE course content give FOSS a fair review?

Barry T

PS. The first page of that BBC Bitesize section has a "Tell us what you think" button if anyone else would like to register their feedback as well.