Okay, let me show you via some screenshots (taken with the camera on my Android phone as Ubuntu Phone does not seem to have any of its own screenshot capture)

First look at this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kingdavid/17055877646

This is the phone with a list of received calls on the Today Scope (they also appear on the Calls Scope just the same)

So I touched on the number and this is what comes up

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kingdavid/16461692083

Then I touch on the red Call button and get this

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kingdavid/16461692283

This is where the head and shoulders icon with + sign to the left appears and from there I could add the number to my contacts, but from what you wrote below I am guessing you found another way to do that?

David