On 27 April 2015 at 14:25, Gareth France <gareth.fra...@cliftonts.co.uk> wrote:

>> This is a good place to start. I've been through this tutorial,
>> written by someone else, and it worked. It really clearly steps
>> through every bit of the process. It's good for QML applications which
>> are mobile focussed, less good for "legacy" type desktop applications
>> though.
>

> My program needs to be desktop, it needs to interface with external kit via
> usb.
>
>> Also worth looking at simple tools like tkinter or wxPython or to make
>> graphical Python apps. Building up to other toolkits afterwards.
>

> My program is built in perl at present. Ideally I'd rather not have to start
> from scratch again if I can help it.
>>

>> Debian packaging is not straightforward. This is one reason why we
>> developed click and then snappy packaging, which will debut in the
>> 15.10/16.04 timeframe. That makes it very much easier to package up
>> applications.
>

> The click packages interest me. Once fully implemented will it be possible
> to publish command line apps this way?
>
>> Well, there's going to have to be some research and learning on your
>> part too. Just throwing your hands in the air and saying "this is
>> broken" is somewhat defeatist.
>

> I wouldn't say I'm doing that but there is an issue with being experienced
> and talking to someone who hasn't even started. It is difficult to know
> which of the things you know like the back of your hand are just alien to
> others. For instance the packaging guide mentions licenses and uses GPL as
> an example but doesn't tell you what the other options are or where you can
> go to explore them. It mentions files, tells you what to put in them but
> leaves you unsure of the file name or location.
>
> The file structure required for packaging is not mentioned at all and I
> didn't see it talking about compressing the files either, but I know that's
> a must.

After reading through these mails, I get the feeling you're not
confident of what you are doing and getting stressed out when it
doesn't work how it appears it should, I've gone through the same.

The best thing I can offer to you is follow the links that Dave/Alan
have posted, but DOCUMENT your process, open up a Google Doc publicly
or something pad.ubuntu-uk.org if it's still there and share when you
are at a point that you are stuck.

Go through each process, write down what errors you're receiving or
where you are stuck.

When you've finished and got it working, propose to add the
documentation, basically you need to show what you have done so far,
where you are getting stuck each time so those areas can be improved?

I've just started writing an app recently with the SDK and found the
documentation OK so far, so you need to be more in detail of where you
are having issues, do some work, ask for help when you are stuck.

Documenting is the way forward! I do it to everything I do now, my
memory sucks!!! I just bullet point each procedure I do and expand as
and where necessary after I've worked it out.

Andy