On 6 June 2015 at 15:47, Barry Drake <ubuntu-advertis...@gmx.com> wrote:
> On 06/06/15 14:40, Colin Law wrote:
>
>> I that case perhaps, as I suggested, you did not tell the installer to
>> use sdb for boot.
>

> As Ubuntu is now so quick and easy to install, I popped a spare 80GiB drive
> into my caddy, and repeated the exact procedure to install onto sdc (the
> 80GiB drive).
> 1) Boot from DVD.
> 2) Select 'Install Ubuntu' from the first partition.
> 3) Followed defaults after selecting 'Erase disk and install Ubuntu', and
> selecting sdc as the disk to be erased.
> At no point was there anything to ask where I wanted grub to go.  I think
> this can only be done from the manual install screen.  As on the second
> occasion, there was no message about the boot not being compatible with
> legacy BIOS.

Is it possible, on your first attempt, that before selecting the erase
all option you had gone into the "Something Else" option and selected
sdb as the boot loader destination?  Unfortunately I have not got a
spare machine at the moment and don't want to go past the Erase Disk
option in case I accidentally erase my working system.

When you go onto the page where you select which disc to erase is
there nothing about boot loader destination?

Colin