Hi

I have a requirement to provide some amplification for a speech. I have a good
USB microphone and a small performance amplifier. So far so good.

The amplifier has a standard input jack but as far as I can see it is not
possible to buy a simple adaptor to allow a USB mike to be used. Since the USB
microphone works fine for recording sound on my laptop, and the laptop makes a
good audio source for the amplifier, why not just use the laptop as an
interface unit?

The problem I'm having is that I can record sound from the mike and play it
back in separate operations , but I can find no way of monitoring input from
the microphone during the recording.

I am running Ubuntu MATE 15.04 and using the Pulse Audio Volume Control to
select inputs and outputs.

Any suggestions, please?

Nige