Hello!

Background:- https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoTeams/MeetupProposal

We (Canonical) have signed up (and pay for) for a MeetUp Organiser
account. This makes it easy for people in the Ubuntu community around
the world to create and manage events on MeetUp.com. I created one for
the UK Team here:-

http://www.meetup.com/Ubuntu-UK-Local-Community-Team

Feel free to join. I'm not going to start spamming the group with
stuff, so don't worry about getting a flood of notifications. I'm
new-ish to MeetUp too, so feel free to point out any mistakes /
omissions on the above page :)

You can see the 'world map' at the url below. Currently we're just
starting out, so there's only a couple of groups :)

http://www.meetup.com/pro/ubuntu/

The idea being if anyone _anywhere_ in the UK wanted to create an
Ubuntu related event they can create / manage / publicise it for free
on MeetUp to other like minded individuals. If people join the 'team'
they will get notified of upcoming events and can sign up (if
required) to get updates about those events. I'm sure many of you have
heard of MeetUp and/or have used it too. The wiki page above goes into
way more detail.

In short:-

* Nobody is forcing anyone to use MeetUp, it's just a service we
thought people might like to use
* We can create events anywhere around the UK (or beyond) despite the
group being 'based' in London (it's not based there, it's just that
the site wants a 'place' by default)
* Other services are available

As a starter we're looking to set-up some themed events maybe starting
as soon as next month and ongoing through next year which people may
be interested in attending. If people have ideas on subjects they'd
like talked about, or additional events elsewhere, let me know.

Cheers,
Al.