On 6 April 2017 at 18:22, Jim Price <d1vers...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Gnome3 wouldn't be my first choice of desktop to use to try and imitate
> another one - that would be Enlightenment.

Well, firstly, the SABDFL has said it will be GNOME, so it will be GNOME.

Secondly, GNOME is still a very major desktop, basis of much of Unity
anyway, and under active development. I was at the GUADEC GNOME
developers' conference in Germany last summer and it's got a lot of
people and interest.

Enlightenment is niche and always has been. It offers no compelling
advantages, just bling, IMHO.

> Bodhi Linux uses it to come close

Interesting. I don't see much resemblance myself. Also note that even
Bodhi, the Enlightenment-on-Ubuntu remix, has forked Enlightenment 17
to make Moksha.

When a desktop's flagship distro forks the desktop, it's a bad sign.

But anyway, a desktop is more than a look & feel. Enlightenment and
Moksha use EFL. GNOME uses GTK. GNOME 3 uses GTK 3, which is also the
basis of Unity & Cinnamon, plus both XFCE and Maté are quickly moving
to it.

Finally, GNOME supports Wayland, which increasingly looks like the
only future successor to X.11. X is very old and something newer and
better is wanted by a lot of people.

Does Enlightenment work on Wayland?

> to looking like Gnome2 (only better),

Interesting. I'd say the opposite, myself.

> and there would be no problem
> arranging the launchers down the left hand side (six position options in
> that arrangement, plus autohide).

That's fairly simple cosmetics.

> I don't know if the hud and lenses etc.
> would be easy to get going on another desktop.

GNOME Shell is search-based, so yes, that aspect would be. Specific
item-type searches, I don't know.

The HUD is a very good point though. I personally hate that and when I
can I disable it, but I guess it might have some fans.

Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk • Google Mail/Talk/Plus: lpro...@gmail.com