People can only speak as they find, of course. I would not reject Dells based
on my own experience.

I've not had a Dell desktop, but never had any problems installing any
mainstream Linux distro on a Dell laptop. I would only be wary of installing
stock Debian becuase of the difficulty in getting wi-fi to run, but that is not
specific to Dells.

Heartily endorse Thinkpads. All those I've had have been variously dropped,
kicked, trodden on and spilled on and continued to run perfectly. They don't
bend when you lift them up off the desk one-handed either.

Nige