On Thu, 2009-10-01 at 08:46 -0400, Elizabeth Krumbach wrote:
> I don't understand this limitation. Teams are *encouraged* to pass
> this information along to their members since the -contacts list is
> primarily for the loco organizers. In this particular example,
> California (like many states in the country) has a lot of folks who
> are willing and able to do translations, so this email is very
> on-topic and something that I'm sure a lot of people have forwarded to
> their teams.

We always hope to pass relevant notices from -contacts along in a way
that is specific and tailored for California.  California is a rich
blend of many cultures, and I can imagine members of the Spanish-,
Cambodian-, and German-speaking communities would be extremely valuable
to the translation effort, to name a few.

Unfortunately, Grant doesn't tailor these announcements and he gives no
thought to timing or how these announcements might draw focus away from
current activities.  Instead, he forwards them along with an FYI, and he
does so indiscriminately.  I feel this creates an unfriendly mood to the
mailing list.

> Honestly, this threat and follow-through of moderation makes me very
> reluctant to post anything to this list for fear of being reprimanded.
> This discouragement of contribution is not good :(

Grant isn't contributing constructively here, he's mindlessly forwarding
messages and unfortunately, he's been asked in private several times to
discuss this practice, and our reasons for wanting a different approach
to unceremoniously forwarding emails.  He has responded by being
dismissive and refusing to enter discussion, and hasn't modified his
behavior.  As he has been doing this for some time and has continued to
be unapproachable, we reluctantly felt we no longer had any choice.

We are not rejecting any emails other than forwards from -contacts, as
the approval of his bringing a private email to the list clearly
indicates.

Regards,
Nathan

--