On 08/18/2010 06:51 AM, Mark Weisler wrote:
> Ilan Rabinovitch wrote:
>> Hello,
>
>> Do we have any plans for the upcoming software freedom day?  It would be
>> great to setup a table at a local library, farmers market, or similar
>> non-tech venue and spread the word about FL/OSS.   Specifically I was
>> thinking documentation/flyers and demos/cds of Ubuntu.
>
>> Thoughts?
>
>> Regards,
>> Ilan
>
> If one were to pursue this, is there a concise blurb that...
> * describes free and open software
> * directs people toward where they can learn more?
>
> It seems to me that the target audience is someone who is at least a
> little computer literate and who could be given a piece of paper they
> can take with them. That paper would refer to one or more URLs for more
> learning and trying free software.
>
> In short, what is the simplest way to introduce people to the
> exhilaration of free software?

In the past in Davis (LUGOD), we've had Win, Mac and Live Discs
available. Would chat about the concept of "Free" software and Open
Source, then would provide one or two of the discs based on what they
were interested in. Most people walked away with a Windows disc of free
software. The disc tend to have stuff like Firefox, Thunderbird,
OpenOffice, Inkscape and GIMP the gateway software to linux. People who
already knew/used those applications were given live discs since they
were somewhat sold on FOSS already.
I can dig up where we downloaded those from if it'd be useful to others.

Of Course there was a live disc computer on the table for demo.

Enjoy,
Alex
Alex