On May 8th Bram Moolenaar outlined [1] plans for 7.4. It was announced Aug
10th [2]. It's mostly bug fixes though the two "new features" he calls out
since 7.3.001 are the improved regex engine algorithm allowing proper
highlighting of javascript and XML files and better python bindings. The
patch notes are available as :help version-7.4 in vim. It's pretty tedious
reading. Unlike many software packages where minor numbers can indicate
major changes, this particular release doesn't look to me to include any
radical new features with high risk but would allow many users to enjoy
fewer bugs. After some work tracking down three lines I got it to build on
12.04, installed on my own system and attached a rough patch to that bug
though more work might be needed for a final, more widely usable patch for
consistent building.

Grant

[1] We are now at patch level 7.3.931. In a few weeks we would reach 999.  I
 don't want to find out what happens if we go over that, so it's time for Vim
7.4! https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/vim_announce/ZWWgK9aXQ2Y This
was in his signature :-)
E  M  A  C  S
s  e  l  o  h