Hello everyone,

As you know the big Ubuntu installfest is coming up in just under two weeks. The logistics have been shaping up very nicely, and everything appears as though it will be quite successful.

The installfest will take place at California State University Fullerton at McCarthy Hall room 606 on Saturday, May 24th, 2014 from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm. More information can be found at the following sites:

http://www.oclug.org/installfest.html
http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/ubuntu-california/2768-oclug-installfest/

We have a venue, we have buy-in from faculty and staff, and we have sponsorship in the form of supplies from Canonical. But the most important factor in the success of this event is going to be volunteers who can commit to be at the event to help out as needed.

And now here's where you come in.  This is the official call for volunteers.

Regardless of your technical comfort and expertise, myself and others from Ubuntu and OCLUG will be at hand to assist you during the installfest, so you can expect an exciting and fun experience.

Primarily, we need installers. Your job will be to help users identify their hardware, determine whether or not they want to install alongside their current operating system or wipe everything and install Ubuntu, and make sure they have their data backed up. You'll help them fill out their installfest datasheets and after a short presentation on Ubuntu, you'll help them boot from an Ubuntu DVD or USB stick and begin the installation process.

You do not need to be able to troubleshoot any given installation problem. There will be Ubuntu experts on hand to fix any critical errors. Your assistance in leading new users through the boot and install process will free up these experts to address any hardware incompatibilities or installation errors that occur.

We will also need greeters. These volunteers will direct attendees from the main parking structure to McCarthy Hall and also pass out packets of welcome material to attendees in the classroom. These friendly welcomes will be the first impression attendees have of the installfest, Ubuntu, and OCLUG and so this human interaction is just as important as technical assistance--maybe even more so.

Each volunteer will receive an Ubuntu name badge clearly identifying him or her as an installfest volunteer.

So if you can be at Cal State Fullerton no later than 9:45 am, please email me and let me know whether you prefer to be an installer or a greeter, and provide your full name as you wish it to appear on your name badge.

This should be your first and last name or full name, and if your name is spelled in a non-Roman alphabet, please provide your preferred romanization which will be included underneath your name.

I would like to have commitments before the end of Sunday, May 18th to assist in planning, but please don't hesitate to email me after that date if you are available.

Regards,
Nathan

--
Nathan Haines