Hi All,

Over the last few days I've been working on setting up a new VirtualHost
inside Kubuntu 14.04 and been having difficulty getting any results
outside of the /var/www directory.

I've been playing around with LAMP stacks for a number of years as
simple development platforms for HTML, CSS and MySQL projects but as I'm
starting to learn Perl and thought I would set up CGI scripting to
/var/www which is working great then got a "wild hair" and thought I
would try setting up a new VirtualHost pointed to /srv for practice in
going through the motions of getting this to work but I'm still getting
permission errors.

I did a2ensite which resolved just fine and chmod /srv to 755
recursively as well as insuring all the files below are executable. My
file inside /etc/apache2/sites-enabled (sym'd to sites-available) is set
as such:

<VirtualHost *:80>
        ServerName roguehorse
        ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost
        DocumentRoot /srv
        #ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /srv/cgi-bin/
       <Directory "/srv/cgi-bin">
            AllowOverride All
            Options ExecCGI Multiviews FollowSymLinks
            AddHandler cgi-script .cgi .pl .py
            Allow from all
       </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

This file was copied from the 000-default.conf file as per the
instructions at https://help.ubuntu.com/14.04/serverguide/httpd.html

I have definitely remembered to reset the server multiple times as well
to make sure the changes have taken effect.

If someone could help me out with what I'm doing wrong to get access to
/srv through my loopback I would most grateful!

Also, this is simply a localhost installation that doesn't see the
outside but simply a platform for learning so strict permissions is not
a big priority as much as just getting the process to work then go from
there.
--
Scott DuBois
President EBLUG