Hello all,

I would like to gather feedback on the way we conduct LoCo meetings.

As you know, Ubuntu California has meetings every two weeks on Freenode in #ubuntu-us-ca. These meetings are a chance to get together and discuss LoCo activity, share news, and discuss and plan events. These meetings are then logged and archived for future reference.

They're also very sparsely attended.

On the one hand, meetings are scheduled on Sundays to try to conflict as little as possible with school, work, and family commitments. On the other hand, taking time out during the weekend is still taking family time away from many members. With this in mind, in the distant past it was leadership policy to cancel most meetings with no agenda items so that members aren't taking time away from their family or home life. This worked well because members were adding agenda regularly and the LoCo was smaller and more active that at present.

This policy changed to one where meetings were not canceled except due to conflicts with holidays or major events, about 2 weeks in advance. Even if there was nothing to discuss at the meeting, it was still held. Current leadership isn't terribly fond of this.

There are two important, conflicting concerns. One is that regular, predictable meetings are an important part of checking in and working together. A LoCo team is a community, and by meeting regularly, we stay in touch and and engaged. Plus, regular, predictable meetings are easy to commit to attending.

The other concern, of course, is that everyone's time is valuable and a 10 or 15 minute meeting on Sunday when people would otherwise be getting ready for the work week or spending time with family is a questionable use of time when we're all unpaid volunteers.

I'll chime in separately with some thoughts later, but for now I would like to hear what everyone thinks about meeting scheduling: dates, times, duration, and frequency.

--
Nathan Haines
Ubuntu - http://www.ubuntu.com/