On Wednesday, November 26, 2014 11:23:50 AM Walter Lapchynski wrote:
> So we have 27 members in the LoCo, 11 of which are Ubuntu members.
> Part of our goal as a LoCo is to further encourage membership.
>
> To that end, for those of you that are not members, I would like to
> open up a discussion about the subject. Why haven't you yet become
> members?
>
> You might want to read:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Membership
>
> I don't think this is the only reason to become a member but here's
> some of the perks:
>  * certificate signed by Mark Shuttleworth himself
Wow I did not get this :(
>  * ubuntu.com email alias
>  * ubuntu/member/nick IRC cloak
>  * people.ubuntu.com SFTP
>  * aggregation of your blog on Planet Ubuntu
>  * right to print business cards and join the LinkedIn group
>  * some other 3rd party stuff, including discounts at gandi.net
>  * voting privileges!!!
Neat - I did not know I suppose to get all this stuff lol off to investigate my
stuffs!

> I emphasize that last one. There's a lot of chatter going on right now
> about the community. The only way we can change our leadership is
> through democracy. If you really want to shake up the status quo,
> that's a big one.
>
> The other thing is that you can use it for your resumé. It's a
> recognition of your contributions. This is the biggest reason why I
> would suggest it. Among other things it tells people you interact with
> that you provide sustained contributions to the community. You're not
> just a participant in the community, but you are one of its architects
> and maintainers.
Yes, and the skills you obtain are transferable to many fields, not just CS.

> You might be thinking that this is just for developers. Not at all.
> The community and its projects need a lot of different forms of help:
>  * development
>  * bug triage
>  * technical support
>  * documentation
Great entry point, this is where I started, I am now a developer.
>  * marketing
>  * artwork
>  * translation
>  * leadership
> There is really a place for everyone. For those that are interested,
> there is a community of people that would love to help. For any one of
> these, I can hook you up with people that can help you be a
> contributor.
>
> Also, though I refer to sustained contributions, I don't mean that you
> work on it day in and day out. It's not about making a job out of it.
> It's not even about having a title. It's not about volume or quantity,
> but about continuing to contribute.
>
> I imagine that for some folks the value here is still not clear.
> Please ask the questions and I'll be happy to answer, as will the
> other Ubuntu members we have in the group.
>
> If we could get to over 50% membership, I would be super excited. We
> don't have too far to go!

I am here to help as well, if anyone has any questions! It is well worth it!
Scarlett

--
Scarlett Clark
Kubuntu Developer