** Description changed:

  Although unfortunately I am often experiencing  X lockups with "EQ
  Overflow" in the log this is the first time I notice another sort of
  message in the Xorg log, the also already known "Error in
  I830WaitLpRing" message.

  The parts of log referring to the lockup are (only a couple of lines
  just to make this report easier to identify):

  [...]
  (II) AIGLX: Suspending AIGLX clients for VT switch
  Error in I830WaitLpRing(), timeout for 2 seconds
  pgetbl_ctl: 0x7ffc0001getbl_err: 0x0
  [...]

  My system consists of an HP nx7400 with Intel i945GM chipset and I am
  using an up to date Ubuntu 8.04.2 LTS.

  Reproducing this particular flavor of  the bug might not be that simple
  but typically one out of three clean boots I experience a lockup
  (typically the one with "EQ overflow")  right after starting a video
  playback.

  Attached I include the Xorg log.

  Any suggestion for fixing this issue is welcome (unfortunately I have
  experienced it with 8.10 and 9.04 as well), I would be glad to do some
  testing as well if exact steps are pointed out.
+
+ [lspci]
+ 00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML
and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub [8086:27a0] (rev 03)
+       Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device [103c:30a2]
+ 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS,
943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:27a2] (rev 03) (prog-if
00 [VGA controller])
+       Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device [103c:30a2]

--
X crashes after starting video
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in ubuntu.