I have been experiencing the same issue since switching to the radeon
driver recently (when I upgraded to Jaunty). Using a Thinkpad T60 w/
X1400 mobility chipset, the built-in screen, and an external LCD
monitor.

I get the flicker on both screens, always bounded around the cursor. The
upper-left of the flickering region appears to be at the upper-left
corner of the cursor, and the region never appears to extend
significantly beyond the cursor.

There appear to be rectangular 'regions' of the screen in which this
consistently happens, when it does happen; I have not been able to
determine if they are consistent between applications or between server
restarts. Putting the cursor anywhere in the region triggers the
behavior, but the exact pattern varies depending on where in the region
it falls.

The region I am testing with at the moment does *not* appear to shift
when the visual under it shifts (for example, scrolling the browser
window I'm typing in so that either bug text, blank page, or text entry
box is under the region). Rather, it stays the same place and size, and
the flicker pattern remains the same for any given spot in it. It *does*
appear that the exact shade of the flicker may depend on what color the
underlying visual is, however.

For the benefit of anyone looking for "ATI flicker" issues: this is
almost certainly not the same as bug #351423; neither switching to XAA
from EXA nor setting the "MigrationHeuristic" option to "greedy" appear
to make any noticeable difference in the behavior, and the symptoms are
not particularly similar.

Including Xorg.0.log, will include lspci output in the next comment.

** Attachment added: "Xorg.0.log"
   http://launchpadlibrarian.net/27063445/Xorg.0.log

--
[X1600] Dual-head flickers
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in ubuntu.