OK. A bit long here, but I _think_ I've finally sorted out the workaround.
Finally, I reread
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/92482/comments/18>
and went digging on google and found:
<http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_get_special_keys_to_work#NumLock>

> > T43, R51, R52 and possibly other models, X does not recognize the
> > keycode for NumLk = Shift+ScrLk. To fix this, add the following to
> > ~/.Xmodmap in your home directory or /etc/X11/Xmodmap and run xmodmap,
> > ex: xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap:

> > the T43)

> > following the above configuration, will start an accessibility feature,
> > which will allow the numeric keypad to maneuver the mouse pointer.
> > Starting this accessibility feature and subsequently running xmodmap, as
> > described above, results in the accessibility feature and the numeric
> > lock LED functioning simultaneously. As such, the above configuration
> > should be completed before the accessibility feature is started in order
> > to produce numbers.

That seems to describe exactly what I was seeing with the cursor
movement.

So, I figure what the heck & create two files:

~/.Xmodmap
and
/etc/X11/Xmodmap

and in both I add:

keycode 77 = Num_Lock Num_Lock

And then:

$ xmodmap /etc/X11/Xmodmap

Logout/in and what do you know... not only does Shift-NumLk work, but
the LED also works! Thinking that it's just a fluke, I powerdown the
A21m, wait for a few moments, and power back up. NumLk is working
properly! Reboot a few times, still works. Login/out from a remote NX and it
still works! :-)

So I guess the next questions would be; 1) why is Shift-NumLk triggering
an accessibility feature (converting to keyboard cursor movement) to
begin with, and 2) what reads the Xmodmap files on gdm start?

--
NumLock gets enabled unexpectedly on my laptop
which is subscribed to xorg-server in ubuntu.