On Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04 AMD64 using included Nvidia closed-source driver 180.44
as provided by 'hardware drivers'
on a Compal JHL90 laptop (sold by ibuypower) with a p9500 processor and nvidia
9600m graphics card:

after a hard crash, and occasionally even after clean shutdowns when
rebooting once gdm attempts to load, it attempts to use the nvidia
driver showing the splash screen and then reverting to console three
times in an obvious failed attempt to use the driver, followed by the
errors:

(EE) Failed to load module "type1" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) Failed to load module "freetype" (module does not exist, 0)

and it gives me the options to repair, troubleshoot, return to console.

I can temporarily work around this issue by exiting to console, shutting
down gdm, running startx (at this point, the xserver loads as normal,
shows driver splash screen and loads the desktop), removing the xorg
config ( at /etc/X11/xorg.conf), running nvidia-settings as root and
using it to re-write the xorg config and then shutting down from the
xserver session through the gui menu provided in gnome.

Once this process is done I can restart gdm from the console and it will
then load the driver properly and I can continue without issue as usual
(until the next restart where it may load as normal, or may have to
repeat the process to get back to a fully working desktop).

At the time of writing I am attaching Xorg.log showing the error
occuring, If requested I can also attach my xorg.conf however it is
simply a 'stock' one generated by nvidia-settings as said in the
procedure above.

** Affects: nvidia-graphics-drivers-180 (Ubuntu)

--
gdm fails to load nvidia closed-source driver
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/bugs/376853