People,

You're hijacking my bug report. If you read my Xorg.0.log you'll see
that the Synaptics driver isn't being loaded at all - this is my issue,
not tap-to-click being disabled by default.

Although I also prefer tap-to-click to be enabled by default, this is
not the problem. The problem is that it's using a the generic "mouse"
driver and not "synaptics". Let's keep the bug report relevant, and file
separate issues in other reports.

--
[Karmic] Touchpad not recognised correctly, synaptics driver not in use
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in ubuntu.