I've hit this too - Dell XPS Studio 16, Radeon HD 3670.  Here's what
I've found:

Without fglrx installed - Suspend, hibernate and Resume work fine
With fglrx installed - Suspend, hibernate and Resume work fine
With fglrx installed and compiz active - No resume from suspend or hibernate
With fglrx installed, compiz not active, but playing Tux Racer - No resume from
suspend or hibernate

It seems that when fglrx is actively displaying 3d images, it'll prevent
a successful resume.  I've tried Tux racer at the menu and actually
playing, with the same results.

It seems then that this problem is NOT related to compiz.

--
ATI Radeon HD 3670 Proprietary FGLRX Drivers break Suspend, Hibernate and major
performance issues.