Public bug reported:

Binary package hint: xserver-xorg-video-ati

I noticed a failure of Karmic to boot to login after an update a couple
of weeks ago, and could not recover the install. After re-installing
(upgrade from a working Jaunty install) I found that boot-up worked
correctly, but I could not resume after suspending, even with --quirk-
none set to true in hal, which has worked in the past. The pm-
suspend.log showed normal suspend sequence, but in place of the resume
sequence there was a block of @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@..... in reverse video. The
screen remained black, and the only way to recover was to power off -
exactly the same as the earlier failure to boot, so I suspect a similar
cause.

I checked that removing the new versions of xserver-xorg-video-ati and
xserver-xorg-video-radeon (1:6.12.2-2ubuntu1) and re-installing the
latest versions from jaunty (6.12.1-0ubuntu2) eliminated the problem.

Attached is the pm-suspend.log from the failed resume - note that this
file will NOT open in gedit, as it contains binary material; "cat" does
not show the binary material at the end of the file; I have found that
"less" displays the contents in an understandable way. The corresponding
log from the successful resume after installing the older drivers has a
normal suspend sequence followed by a normal resume sequence.

** Affects: xserver-xorg-video-ati (Ubuntu)

--
xserver-xorg-video-ati update breaks suspend/resume
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in ubuntu.