Hi. I had 8.620 running. (Downloaded the ati installer from ther website:
Catalyst 9.6). Now I purged all fglrx packages (built by the installer) and
restored the default xorg.conf. After a reboot the system worked fine (with
radeon driver). I added the xorg-edgers ppa, installed fglrx-modalias (was
purged before) and used jockey to install the fglrx driver from edgers ppa.
After that I rebooted and hoped that everything is fine, but the frequency
problem still exists. In a virtual terminal i edited the xorg.conf (added the
HorizSync and VertRefresh parameters and restarted X. Now the driver worked
(with 3D). I've attached my xorg.conf and a xrandr output which shows the
frequency problem.
My Monitor is an Hyundai ImageQuest L17T (only has VGA connector).

** Attachment added: "xorg.conf"
   http://launchpadlibrarian.net/28463472/xorg.conf

--
[HD 3200] Jaunty, FGLRX Drivers crash. Out of range HorizSync. Radeon HD 3200
which is subscribed to fglrx-installer in ubuntu.