Not really sure why that would help, since this issue with the ATI
graphics hardware and drivers, not Intel. Also, unlike the Intel problem
this exhibits even when compiz is turned off completely. I have it
disabled for other reasons, but it has been disabled since well before I
did the Jaunty upgrade, and I just went and double-checked that it
didn't accidentally get turned on somehow -- it didn't.

--
[X1600] Dual-head flickers
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in ubuntu.