I have the same problem on my Thinkpad T41 with RV250 on Maverick. This
system has been upgraded twice from 9.10.

$ lspci | egrep -i rv
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV250 [Mobility
FireGL 9000] (rev 02)

Although hibernate/resume works fine, suspend/resume does not. Plus,
there's some video corruption of the ubuntu logo during bootup and
shutdown. So, I thought I'd try turning off kernel mode setting (KMS).
I'm running grub2. In /etc/default/grub, I replaced this line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

with this line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"

Now, resuming from suspend seems to work perfectly. I'm not sure whether
there's a performance hit by not using KMS. Is nomodeset the default
when installing Maverick on older AGP radeon systems like these? Should
it be in Natty? Will suspend/resume under KMS ever work on older AGP
radeon systems?

** Package changed: linux (Ubuntu) => xserver-xorg-video-ati (Ubuntu)

** Tags added: radeon regression-release resume suspend
** Tags removed: apport-bug graphics i386 lucid needs-upstream-testing
regression-potential

--
resume broken on ATI radeon RV250
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in ubuntu.