Hi everyone.  I'm new to ubuntu perhaps this is common sense and should
be overlooked, but it worked for me.  The blinking on my laptop (Asus
G73W, nVidia 460GM -1.5gm) was driving me crazy.

With the nVidia drivers up to date, click

System - Administration - NVIDIA X Server Settings

On the left hand menu, click

nvidia-settings Configuration

Uncheck "PowerMizer Monitor", save configurations and quit.  This has
completely eliminated the blinking for me.

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-180 in ubuntu.

  Occasional screen-wide "blink" when using opengl apps (compiz also) and
Nvidia cards