Hi Tormod,
     It seems it is a duplicate. I managed to fix the problem, however, by
upgrading my Savage driver for Xorg from the one that comes with Maverick
(1:2.3.1-2ubuntu2) to the latest one available on Debian's website (1:2.3.2-1).
But this is not currently available in Ubuntu's repositories. The latest one
off of Debian's site at least works, but OpenGL is slower than it was a few
packages back, such as the default one that came with Lucid. The website is
<http://ftp.debian.org/pool/main/x/xserver-xorg-video-savage/>.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-savage in ubuntu.

  X crashes when opening OpenGL applications on Maverick